However, the 88 year old star suffered another fall at home recently, which set back his recovery from keyhole surgery.
Sir Bruce Forsyth’s long-term recovery from his various health problems recently took another setback, with the entertainer’s wife Lady Wilnelia revealing that he suffered another fall at home while recovering from surgery.
Wilnelia appeared on ITV’s ‘This Morning’ on Thursday (November 10th), and gave an update as to how the 88 year old entertainment legend was recovering from keyhole surgery he underwent late last year. Forsyth went under the knife when doctors found two aneurysms when a full body scan was conducted after his first fall at his home in Surrey, which happened back in October 2015.
Sir Bruce Forsyth with his wife, Lady Wilnelia, in 2015
Continue reading: Sir Bruce Forsyth's Wife Says He Hopes To Return To Public Life
It had been claimed the 88-year-old presenter was done with television for good.
Bruce Forsyth has not quit showbiz, his manager has confirmed.
The 88-year-old, who is still recovering from surgery after a serious fall at his home in Surrey last year, was reported to have quietly retired after 77 years in showbiz.
But according to his manager Ian Wilson, Forsyth has made ‘no formal or informal decision’ about his retirement.
Continue reading: Bruce Forsyth Has Not Retired From Showbiz Yet
The annual telethon has broken last year’s total of £32.6 million.
'Children in Need' raised a spectacular, record breaking total of £37 million last night, during the annual six-hour long telethon. The event was hosted by Tess Daly and Dermot O’Leary, who came in as a last minute replacement for veteran presenter Terry Wogan who was suffering from health issues.
Dermot O’Leary hosted ‘Children In Need’ alongside Tess Daly last night (November 13th).
It was the first time Wogan had missed a ‘Children In Need’ broadcast since its inception in 1980. “It’s been an absolute blast,” O’Leary said, “Thank you so, so much. To Terry, I hope you’re feeling better, I hope we get to enjoy a drop of the pure very soon and we’re all doing you justice here.”
Continue reading: BBC 'Children In Need' Raises Record Breaking £37 Million
He'll be reunited with Tess Daly for the special, which will see four cast members of 'Call The Midwife' competing.
Sir Bruce Forsyth is to make a one-off return to ‘Strictly Come Dancing’ for a special episode during ‘Children In Need’, which will feature the cast of fellow BBC family favourite ‘Call The Midwife’.
The fundraising evening of programming will see the 87 year old veteran reunited with his former ‘Strictly’ co-host Tess Daly, as stars such as Jenny Agutter, Laura Main, Jack Ashton and Stephen McGann compete for the Pudsey Glitter Ball trophy with professional partners Ian Waite, Joanne Clifton, Brendan Cole and Oti Mabuse.
Of course, there’s a cast member of ‘Call The Midwife’ currently competing in the main ‘Strictly’ competition this year, with Helen George impressing the judges with her moves, and the rest of the cast will be hoping to match her impressive performances.
Winkleman takes over from Bruce Forsyth
The BBC’s entertainment correspondent, Lizo Mzimba said that, although Claudia Winkleman's appointment as host of Strictly Come Dancing was "not a huge surprise", it marked "a hugely significant step" for the BBC. "The new Strictly line-up is a clear demonstration of the BBC's determination to feature more women, particularly in its primetime output," he said.
Claudia Winkleman is taking a key role at Strictly
Winkleman takes over from Sir Bruce Forsyth with the legendary presenter leaving after facing criticism about his age. At the age of 86, he increasingly found live television "very strenuous". She has been a part of the show since it launched in 2004, presenting the BBC Two spin-off show It Takes Two until 2011. She also presents the Great British Sewing Bee and Film 2014, as well as the Arts Show on Radio 2 in what has been a fruitful career with the BBC so far.
The beloved entertainer reckons he's still got a few good years in him.
After seven decades in entertainment, Strictly Come Dancing host and beloved entertainer Sir Bruce Forsyth does not plan on retiring. He is however, consumed by altogether more grim thoughts. “I’m on borrowed time, there’s no getting away from it,” he said in a recent interview for the Mirror. “When I look at all my friends that have gone – Eric Sykes, Frankie Howerd. They’ve all gone.”
Sir Bruce Forsyth has spent over 70 years in showbiz.
Now that does sound like a bleak statement to make, but Forsyth isn’t at all depressed by the thought of his own mortality, as he continues: "When I look at some of my dear old personal friends and I look back, I think I’ve had 15 years more than him, 25 years more than him. I am conditioning myself so it’s not going to be a big surprise. It will just be, ‘OK, time to go’.
Continue reading: Bruce Forsyth On His Career, His Age And Making The Most Of Life
Sir Bruce Forsyth - Strictly Come Dancing contestants arrive at Blackpool's Tower Ballroom for rehearsals ahead of the tonight's live show (16Nov13) - Blackpool, United Kingdom - Saturday 16th November 2013
The legendary presenter also endorses some younger talent
British television legend Bruce Forsyth – current presenter of Strictly Come Dancing – has announced that children shouldn’t be allowed on Britain’s Got Talent.
"I don't think they should put children on that are too young. If you're going to do that, have a separate show. Have a children's show, British Children Have Talent," Forsyth told The Mail on Sunday. "To put little children through that kind of an ordeal, I think that is wrong. I think it was last year some poor little girl of about 11 was crying her eyes out on there. I don't think that's entertainment." BGT – hosted by Ant and Dec – has become one of the most popular shows on television as it pits contestants against each other in singing, dancing, magic tricks or even dog shows. Forsyth, too, has become a British staple over the years. Speaking of his return to Strictly Come Dancing, he added: "It's looking like I'll definitely be doing it and I'm looking forward to it." Forsyth recently revealed that he wants Ant & Dec to replace him on Strictly if he quits.
"So many people have been put in the frame, but I'd love Ant and Dec to do it. I think they'd do an amazing job," he said, fully endorsing the Geordie pair, who rose to prominence with their cheeky antics on Byker Grove and their musical styling as PJ & Duncan.
Continue reading: Bruce Forsyth Reckons Britain’s Got Talent Shouldn’t Include Kids
Veteran presenter wants to spent his last winters in warmer climbs
Bruce Forsyth could be about to jack it all in to move to pastures warmer, with Strictly Come Dancing possibly being put to rest with him at the helm, so that the 85 year-old can soak up the rays elsewhere during the cold UK winter months.
Speaking to the print version of The Radio Times, the veteran presenter grumbled “Look at this weather, I can’t even get out. It does make me depressed. I’m just back from Puerto Rico, where my wife’s family live and it’s 85C there. I don’t know why I came back to this stinking cold place. The winter has gone on for so long. We deserve a good summer.” He added “I would contemplate just doing six months a year in this country. If this is going to be our regular winter, I’m going to vanish in October and come back at the end of May.”
This would of course clash with when BBC reality dancing contest Strictly Comes Dancing takes place, but when that was put to him he replied: “Oh yes, but we’ll forget about that.” Cryptic! In the same interview, Forsyth also hit out at critics who poke fun at him for fluffing his lines. “How many newsreaders do you see making a slip?” He fumed. “It happens all the time live. But, of course, with it being me, and being 85, they call me a silly old fool. Any excuse.”
Continue reading: Is Sir Bruce Forsyth Retiring From Strictly Come Dancing?
Louis Smith was last night crowned this years Strictly Come Dancing champion, wowing both the audiences and the judges with his light feet to take home this years glitter ball trophy.
The 23-year-old Olympic silver medalist beat off competition from actress Dani Harmer, TV presenter Denise Van Outen and Girls Aloud star Kimberley Walsh in the much vied for final, making him the show's 10th victor. An overwhelmed, but still slightly jovial, Louis said after he was awarded this years title, "I can finally say I won something in the year 2012!"
With his fleet-footed rendition of the Charleston, Louis swept off the injury problems that have plagued him throughout the competition as though they weren't there, to perform a near faultless dance routine with his partner Flavia Cacace. The Olympian sustained a number of injuries throughout the show's 14-week run, including problems with his back - which limited the number of lifts he could perform - as well as a knee problem that he said would require surgery now the show is over.
Continue reading: Louis Smith Crowned King Of Strictly Come Dancing
Innumerable accounts and reports of Jimmy Savile's sexual abuse with underage children, coupled with mismanagement on the part of the media and those around at the time have lead to one of the biggest scandals to hit the U.K.
Personal accounts of Savile are now being regaled almost as frequently as the sexual abuse stories themselves, and the latest high profile celebs to give their thoughts on the late and controversial entertainer are Sir Paul McCartney and Sir Bruce Forsyth.
At the height of their fame, The Beatles often came into contact with Savile, given his proximity to the stars, but he never invited them in after they'd offered him a friendly lift back. "When he'd gone we thought why doesn't he let us in, what is it, because most people would have let us in that we gave a lift to,' McCartney told the Independent, adding: 'We always thought there was something a little bit suspect." The Beatles also knew the limits on the highly charged sexual climate of the times, even if it seems a little obvious to us now. "We knew with under 16s it was illegal, so we didn't do it", he explained, adding, "There was a definite no-no involved in underage kids and that the Beatles had so many adult groupies it was never an issue."
Date of birth
22nd February, 1928