James Brown's grieving widow was left distraught amid a slew of legal battles over the star's estate after a judge ordered his body to be cut up so Dna tests could be performed.

Tomi Rae Hynie, mother of Brown's youngest son James, Jr., has revealed she was horrified when she found out medical officers had to hack the legs from the singer's remains to carry out tests on his bone marrow in a bid to prove the youngster is really his child.

James, Jr.'s parentage was challenged as part of a feud among Brown's other children over his estate following the music legend's death in 2006, aged 73. Brown left a will which was signed in 2000, a year before he married his wife.

In an interview with Britain's Mail on Sunday newspaper, she explains, "The drama that has unfolded since his death is more painful and outrageous than anything a scriptwriter could dream up... James would be spinning in his grave if he knew the hell I'd gone through over the past eight years... They couldn't do the normal Dna test because of all the embalming fluid in his body. So they had to cut off his legs to get to his bone marrow. I wept uncontrollably when I found out. My husband, the greatest dancer in the world, had his legs hacked off in death... My husband was a prolific womaniser. There are the children we know about but there are more and more people coming out of the woodwork claiming to be his. They are doing Dna testing all the time."

Hynie also claims Brown's body was moved 14 times in the six months after his death amid the raging legal battles: "That is the final insult to James. He and I would often talk about his legacy. He wanted our home - a 230-acre estate on Beech Island in South Carolina - to be turned into a living memorial, like (Elvis Presley's home) Graceland. That's where he wanted a proper mausoleum."

She now lives in Las Vegas with her son, and claims she is so broke she has to busk to earn extra cash. She adds "I've been forced to busk on the streets at times to make ends meet. I'm broke."

Hynie was included in a settlement agreement in 2011 which would have given her a quarter of her late husband's estate, but the legal wrangling is believed to be ongoing.