Clarkson left ‘Top Gear’ earlier this year, following a fracas with one of the show’s producers.
Jeremy Clarkson has said he considered doing “nothing at all” after his axing from 'Top Gear' earlier this year, until Amazon Prime came to the rescue. Writing in his Sunday Times column, Clarkson also said he had no idea that his co-hosts James May and Richard Hammond would refuse to do the show without him.
Jeremy Clarkson considered doing “nothing at all”, after ‘Top Gear’ axing.
Writing about his feelings in the days after his firing, Clarkson said, “I didn’t really know what I was going to do. A large part of me considering the appealing option of ‘nothing at all’. A smaller part thought I should change tack and do a programme about farming.”
But once James May and Richard Hammond had also left the show, the trio went off to find an agent to help them in the next chapter of their careers. What they found was the world of online programming and in particular Netflix, who acted like a white knight for the presenter.
“And then, riding over the horizon on a white charger, in a brown cardboard envelope, came Amazon. It took us to its London headquarters and showed us the tech it had lined up for the very near future, made us an offer in English - well, it was in American, actually, but that’s close enough - and that was that, we had a new home,” Clarkson wrote.
Speaking about the upcoming series, which is rumoured to be titled ‘Gear Nobs’, Clarkson said it would be completely different from ‘Top Gear’. "All of the previous ingredients - the Stig, the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car and the Cool Wall - belonged to the BBC, so we'd have to start from scratch.”
"It forced us to get creative. To do what we'd never dared to do in the past: to change what we knew worked. We have, though. It's going to be all new. New name. New segments. New ideas. Everything is different,” the 55-year-old added. Clarkson’s new Netflix series is scheduled to debut on the streaming service late next year.