Following nearly a month in a critical condition in hospital, Bobbi Kristina Brown’s doctors on Wednesday reportedly attempted to take her out of a medically induced coma for the second time. However, the attempt ended in disappointment as the 21 year old began suffering seizures in response, and the process was reversed.

A family source told People magazine on Wednesday (February 25th) that doctors would be weaning her off the medication used to keep her in her medically induced state, although she would remain on life support.

Bobbi Kristina Brown
Bobbi Kristina Brown has been a medically induced coma since January 31st

The same source, however, said “she was taken off the drugs, but she began having violent seizures. She is being put back into a coma.” This latest disappointment hugely damages the hopes that Bobbi Kristina’s family had had that she can be revived.

More: Bobbi Kristina Brown’s family holds vigil; reports claim they’re considering switching off life support

“This is a horrible setback,” the source continued. “Everyone was hopeful that this was the sign that she'd turned the corner. We were so optimistic. Bobby [Brown, her father] is taking this so hard; he was sure this was going to be a good day.”

A first attempt was made to bring Bobbi Kristina, the only daughter of the late singer Whitney Houston’s marriage to Bobby Brown, back to consciousness earlier in February when doctors observed her eyelids fluttering. However, the result was the same as this one and she was placed back in a coma.

On January 31st, Bobbi Kristina was discovered face-down and unresponsive in a bathtub, in a grim echo of her mother’s untimely death in 2012. The circumstances surrounding what really happened are unclear because of her medical condition.

Her boyfriend Nick Gordon, however, has been the subject of unsubstantiated rumours connecting him in some way to the incident.

More: Nick Gordon denies rumours he’s getting lawyers involved to visit Bobbi Kristina Brown