Corey Feldman and Richard Donner have both confirmed there are plans to make 'The Goonies 2'. Following Donner's revelation last week that a sequel is highly likely, Feldman, the star of the 1985 original took to Twitter to tell fans what he knows of the sequel to the children's classic.
Director Richard Donner unofficially confirmed he was working on a sequel to the hit 1985 children's classic, The Goonies, on Saturday (5th April). Although rumors have circulated for years, he stated the project was being seriously considered but gave little indication as to a release date or further details.
Corey Feldman has told fans all he knows about The Goonies 2.
One of the stars of The Goonies, Corey Feldman has tweeted what he knows of the project and further confirmed Donner's interest in a sequel. The 42-year-old explained that although he could not confirm the news he had spoken to director Donner "a few months ago" about the potentiality of The Goonies 2. He told fans, who had bombarded him with thousands of tweets about the sequel, that Donner had informed him he was working on the project with Steven Spielberg and Chris Columbus.
GOONIES 2:FACT OR FICTION? I hav been hounded incessantly since this "rumor" hit the press 24 hrs ago! Literally thousands of tweets n FB— Corey Feldman (@Corey_Feldman) April 6, 2014
Donner had expressed his wish that the stars of the original would make an appearance in the sequel and this was echoed by Feldman via Twitter. He wrote how Donner had stated he wanted all of the former stars in a sequel should it come to fruition.
However, Feldman added he had yet to see the script and so remained "sceptical" about the likelihood of a sequel. He added any script would have to be "perfect" and "we must all be certain it does not miss the magic of the original." Nevertheless, as Feldman knows Donner he is fairly certain a sequel is in the works. He described his trust in Donner, stating "Dick is one of the few men in the industry I love and trust" thus qualifying his belief that Donner would "not tell a lie." He concluded his series of tweets emphasising his faith in the sequel and those currently working on it. The former child actor wrote "I believe they are working hard to make it the best script possible and when they are confident they will share it with us," further promising The Goonies fans "You will know!"
It's close, then I believe they R workin hard 2 make it the best script poss and if and when they feel confident 2 share w us, U will know!— Corey Feldman (@Corey_Feldman) April 6, 2014
A number of the original's actors have continued to have successful careers in the film industry. Feldman has appeared in hundreds of films and television productions and has even turned his hand to a music career having released four albums. Most recently, Feldman shocked many with his autobiography, Coreyography: A Memoir, in which he alleged he had been sexually abused whilst working as a child actor on film sets.
Read more: Corey Feldman's Autobiography 'Coreyography' Deals With Sexual Abuse.
The film's other stars include Josh Brolin (Labour Day), Sean Astin (The Lord of the Rings), Martha Plimpton (Raising Hope) and Kerri Green (Law And Order) have also continued to work in the film industry. The other stars have yet to comment on Donner's unofficial announcement but they will, as Donner stated, "hopefully" be involved in the sequel should plans be successful.