Former child star Feldman has been vocal on the subject of child sexual abuse in Hollywood for years.
In response to Corey Feldman’s recent promise to expose details of sexual abuse of children in Hollywood and name those who abused him as a child star, the Los Angeles Police Department has confirmed it has opened an investigation into the actor’s allegations.
On Tuesday evening (November 7th), a LAPD spokesperson told The Hollywood Reporter and other outlets that it is looking into Feldman’s long-standing claims that a paedophile ring has long existed in the film industry, after he came in to the station and detailed his claims the day before.
“When a report is filed on something as severe as this, an investigation is opened by the robbery/homicide division [which also handles sex crimes],” LAPD detective Ross Nemeroff said.
Corey Feldman with fiancee Courtney Anne Mitchell in 2017
The former Goonies and Stand By Me star, now 46, had tweeted on Monday: “I JUST COMPLETED A FORMAL SIT DOWN INTERVIEW W @LAPDHQ SPECIAL DIVISION, & GAVE THEM ALL THE INFO I KNOW! OFFICIALLY THE 1ST FORMAL REPORT EVER TAKEN ON ANY OF MY CASES, AS SBPD NEVER FOLLOWED UP BACK IN 1993, & HAS NO RECORD OF MY COMPLAINTS.”
Feldman added, “THE LAPD WILL BEGIN AN OFFICIAL INVESTIGATION NOW! THINGS R HEATING UP, IM PRAYING 4 SAFETY! PLEASE HELP.”
Last week, after pledging in October to set up a crowdfunding campaign for a film project to name expose those who he has alleged abused him in the ‘80s, Feldman appeared on the ‘Dr. Oz’ show and publicly accused Jon Grissom, who starred with him and Corey Haim in two films, as the man who sexually molested him as a child.
Feldman said that Grissom was the man identified pseudonymously in his 2013 memoir ‘Coreyography’, but that lawyers made him change the names at the time.
“That is him… That's the guy. This guy, on his Myspace page and his Facebook page has pictures of me and Corey Haim,” Feldman told Dr Mehmet Oz back on November 2nd. “He still taunts it and flaunts it.”
Grissom - who has previously served time in prison in another child molestation case - has not commented on the accusations since, and the LAPD in its statement this week did not specifically name him.