Beckham Jr. finally addressed the controversy in an interview with Complex, about his alleged snubbing of Dunham at this year's Met Ball.
NFL star Odell Beckham Jr. has at last reacted to the controversy concerning Lena Dunham which erupted last week, after the ‘Girls’ creator accused him of slighting her at the Met Gala back in May this year before apologising and taking it back.
Dunham had said that the New York Giants’ wide receiver had effectively taken one glance at her at the star-studded event four months ago and thought she was “not the shape of a woman by his standards”, and proceeded to ignore her.
Since then, many have been wondering what the 23 year old football player would have to say in response, but in a new interview he basically expressed polite confusion at the bust-up.
Lena Dunham had apologised for what she said about Beckham Jr. in last week's Lenny newsletter
“I don’t have enough information to really speak on it,” he told Complex in an exclusive interview this week. “We’ll see what happens from there. I never want any problems with anybody in this world.”
30 year old Dunham had spoken with Amy Schumer in a Q&A for her newsletter Lenny last Friday (September 2nd), and accused Beckham Jr. of misogyny, despite admitting that they didn’t exchange words.
“The vibe was very much like, ‘Do I want to fuck it? Is it wearing a… yep, it's wearing a tuxedo. I'm going to go back to my cell phone.’ It was like we were forced to be together, and he literally was scrolling Instagram rather than have to look at a woman in a bow tie. I was like, ‘This should be called the Metropolitan Museum of Getting Rejected by Athletes.’”
Dunham had subsequently reconsidered and rowed back on what she said in that newsletter, taking to Twitter to say that the NFL star was “talented, stylish, seems super awesome and wasn't into chatting with me at a fancy party”.
She also dismissed the story as an “outrage machine” and apologised for inferring “misogynistic thoughts to someone I don’t know AT ALL”.