This complicated case takes another turn.
Paul Gongaware, the co-CEO of AEG, has claimed he knew nothing of Michael Jackson’s medication, according to CNN. The late singer died of an overdose of the surgical anesthetic propofol.
This testimony comes as the Jackson family are suing AEG – the promotion company in charge of the This Is It tour that Jackson never got to perform. They assert that AEG were negligent in their hiring of Dr. Conrad Murray, who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter, making them partly liable for the death of The King of Pop. "AEG knew nothing about this decade-long propofol use," AEG Live lawyer Marvin Putnam said in his opening statements. "They were a concert promoter. How could they know?" The surgical anesthetic was used to put the singer to sleep after shows during his "HIStory" tour. Gongaware negotiated the deal to pay Dr. Murray $150,000 a month to be Jackson's physician for the "This Is It" tour, a fee that was first turned down by Dr. Murray.
So Jackson’s lawyers are saying that Gongaware should have known better than to hire Murray because of the doctor’s experience with the singer as well as other artists such as Elvis Pressley. Gongaware testified that he saw "no indication at all" that Jackson was using drugs during that tour. "I would be certain to notice it if that was the case."
Randy Phillips, Chief Executive of AEG Live and promotor of Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' concert tour
Michael Jacksons iconic figure will never be forgotten