Currently on trial for four further counts of indecent assault, Harris is to be released from Stafford prison on Friday.
Disgraced former children’s TV presenter Rolf Harris is set to be released from prison tomorrow as he continues to fight further child sex abuse charges, a court has heard today.
87 year old Harris was convicted and imprisoned in July 2014 for five years and nine months for 12 counts of indecent assault, following a much-publicised trial, bringing his decades-long showbusiness career to an end.
He is to be released from prison on Friday, and has been granted bail regarding ongoing further criminal proceedings for four charges of indecent assault, regarding a string of allegations that he groped teenage girls during television and celebrity appearances.
Continue reading: Rolf Harris To Be Released From Prison
Decision on whether the appeal will be allowed unlikely to happen until the autumn
Disgraced entertainer Rolf Harris has applied for permission to appeal his recent conviction for indecent assault.
Rolf Harris' lawyers have applied to appeal against his conviction for indecent assaults
In July Harris, 84, was sentenced to five years and nine months in prison for 12 counts of indecent assaults on four girls. The application will now be considered by a judge, but a decision or hearing is unlikely to occur before the end of September. If he is denied, then Harris will be unable to make another appeal.
Continue reading: Rolf Harris To Appeal Conviction For Indecent Assault
Despite complaints of leniency, Harris' sentence will not be passed on to the Court of Appeal
The imprisonment period handed down to Rolf Harris following his conviction for sex offences earlier this month will not be referred to the Court of Appeal.
Rolf Harris' sentence will not be sent to Court of Appeal, despite widespread perceptions of leniency. Photo - Getty 2014
Around 150 complaints of leniency were registered to the attorney general’s office following Harris’ sentence of five years and nine months for 12 sexual offences perpetrated on four girls.
Continue reading: Rolf Harris' Sentence Will Not Be Increased, Says Attorney General
Rolf Harris' prison sentence is set to be carried out in a low security prison with unlocked rooms, TVs and "art courses"
Rolf Harris was handed a 5 year, 9 month prison sentence having been found guilty of 12 counts of charges relating to the abuse of 4 separate females. But that sentence has been plunged into further controversy following the news that Harris would serve it in an open prison.
Rolf Harris' sentence was deemed too low, but the nature of it has also been brought into question
Peter Saunders, of the National Association of People Abused in Childhood, denounced the decision and told the Mirror: “It’s another slap in the face for victims." Harris will be transferred to Leyhill Open Prison in South Gloucestershire next month.
The radio presenter didn't expect that revealing her assault at the hands of Rolf Harris would lead to online backlash.
Vanessa Feltz has spoken with horror and dismay towards the reaction she faced online after she revealed that disgraced TV presenter Rolf Harris touched her indecently. The radio presenter described how the disgraced entertainer put his hand up her dress and felt her legs during a The Big Breakfast interview in May 1996.
The 52 year-old presenter has criticised the reaction her admission attracted from social media users. Speaking to BBC London 94.9, she said: "The kind of reaction I have had, I found so upsetting. I was upset by the outpouring of misogyny and hatred and you know 'who would want to assault Vanessa Feltz'."
The 84 year-old artist, musician and television personality was sentenced last week to five years and nine months in jail for a series of sex attacks on girls as young as seven or eight. Feltz said she had kept quiet about the incident at the time because "I thought it only happened to me."
Continue reading: Vanessa Feltz Hit With “Bile” After Rolf Harris Assault Admission
The victims of Rolf Harris have written statements detailing the long term impact of his abuse on their lives. The statements were read out today (4th July) in Southwark Crown Court before Harris' sentencing.
A number of Harris' victims wrote statements which were read out in court today (4th July) ahead of his sentencing. Harris was convicted of 12 counts of indecent assault charges on Monday (30th June) but the sentencing was postponed until today so medical reports could be gathered.
Rolf Harris arriving at Southwark Crown Court on Friday (4th July).
The statements, written by the victims, were read out in Southwark Crown Court ahead of sentencing. The victims described the impact Harris' assault had one their lives. All statements referenced the impact of Harris' indecent assault on the women's lives and how they had been changed and "haunted" by his actions.
The BBC reject calls to further investigate their own conduct
The BBC has rejected calls to launch an enquiry into Rolf Harris’ career at the broadcaster company following the 83-year-old's guilty verdict. The Australian was convicted of sexually abusing four young girls over a period of two decades.
Rolf Harris is found guilty - photo: Getty 2014, Ben A. Pruchnie
Spokesman Peter Saunders asserted that the BBC’s stance on the Harris case was reminiscent to that of Jimmy Savile, the late presenter, and jailed TV presenter Stuart Hall.
Russell Brand has had his say on Rolf Harris' conviction.
Russell Brand has offered his two cents on news that Rolf Harris has been found guilty of 12 counts of indecently assaulting four girls dating back more than 40 years, with the youngest victim just seven or eight years old. Speaking on his YouTube channel, Brand suggested the conviction make you "revise your own childhood."
Rolf Harris leaves court after being found guilty of 12 counts of indecent assault [Photo: Getty Images, credit: Ben Pruchnie]
"It just makes you feel that reality is very muddled and confusing, like you have to revise your own childhood," said Brand.
Continue reading: Russell Brand On Rolf Harris "Newly Cast As The Villain"
The Rolf Harris latest allegations involves two women from Australia and New Zealand.
The latest news from the Rolf Harris trial is probably the most disconcerting yet. A woman from Darwin, Australia, told Southwark Crown Court she had been "repulsed" when Harris gave her a "gentle hug" and then kissed her. The girl was 11 or 12 years old at the time it allegedly happened, in 1969, reports BBC News.
Rolf Harris Arriving at Southwark Crown Court
The woman is a prosecution witness but her allegation does not form part of the charges against Mr Harris, who denies 12 counts of indecent assault. He is accused of assaults on four girls in the UK between 1968 and 1986, when they were aged between seven or eight, and 19.
Continue reading: Rolf Harris Latest: Entertainer Introduced Girl To "Tongue Kiss"
It has been a violent week in showbiz, with aggression from Alec Baldwin, Justin Bieber and the Solange/Jay Z camps.
Cannes Panning: We'd love to say we were starting the round-up on a high with the Cannes Film Festival but unfortunately for new royal biopic Grace of Monaco, there is no good news to be found. The Nicole Kidman-starring true story dramatization has been almost universally crushed by Cannes critics who found the acting wooden, the script trite and the entire picture worse than the much-slated Diana pic. You can watch the trailer here though - it's worth it for the beautiful costumes and idyllic tax-haven setting.
Baldwin Busted: Alec Baldwin should probably sneak off to some meditation resort in the mountains for the next few months until this latest debacle blows over. The hot-headed actor and TV host, who is known for his many altercations with paps, had a run-in with police this week when he was caught riding his bicycle the wrong way down a busy New York street and flew into a rage when the cops asked to see his ID. It didn't end well for the 30 Rock star: read about all the drama here.
Continue reading: A Week In News: Batman Revealed, Baldwin Busted, An Elevator Bust-Up
The TV presenter and artist has denied 12 counts of indecent abuse as the court case continues.
Rolf Harris has been described as a "dirty old man" by his youngest alleged victim, who claims the entertainer molested her when she met him to get an autograph signed at a community centre in Portsmouth between 1968 and 1970.
Rolf Harris Has Been Described As A "Dirty Old Man" As The Sex Abuse Trial Continues.
The woman broke down into tears as she gave her testimony from behind a screen. She said she reached the front of the queue to meet Harris and the TV star touched her inappropriately with his "big hairy hands."
Rolf Harris allegedly told his apparent victim's brother "It takes two to tango", when confronted.
Rolf Harris, the entertainer on trial for indecent assault, allegedly told the brother one of his apparent victims "It takes two to tango" when confronted. The man told a jury at Southwark Crown Court that he called Harris, 84, on the telephone after his sister confided in him.
Rolf Harris Arrives at Southwark Crown Court
"When I phoned I was angry," he said. "I asked him not to contact my sister again and I threatened physical violence.
Continue reading: Rolf Harris Told Alleged Victim's Brother, "It Takes Two To Tango"
A woman, who has alleged the TV presenter abused her, denies that she is making up her claims.
A woman has denied that she made up sexual abuse claims against Rolf Harris in an ongoing trial investigating the TV presenter and claims of indecent assault. Appearing in court, the woman claimed that Harris had abused her when she was a teenager and that their sexual contact had been non-consensual.
A Woman Accusing Rolf Harris Of Sexually Abusing Her Has Denied She Made Up Her Claims.
Harris, 84, denies 12 charges of indecent assault against four girls aged between seven or eight and 19, from 1968 to 1986. The woman, to whom 7 of the 12 counts relate, is said to be a childhood friend of Rolf's daughter, Bindi Harris.
Rolf Harris is yet to offer his defence in the high profile trial.
A woman has told Southwark Crown Court that children's entertainer Rolf Harris assaulted her several times as a teenager, including once when his own daughter was in the same room. The alleged victim - who cannot be named for legal reasons - called Harris's actions "creepy."
Rolf Harris Arriving In Court
Mr Harris, 84, is alleged to have abused the girl from the age of 13 at her home, as well at his, and on holiday. He denies 12 counts of indecently assaulting her, and three other girl from 1968 to 1986. His alleged victims were aged between seven or eight and nineteen when the offences are said to have taken place.
Rolf Harris is charged with 12 counts of abuse.
The popular children's entertainer Rolf Harris groomed and molested a friend of his daughter from the age of 13 onward, Southwark Crown Court has heard. Mr Harris is accused of indecently assaulting the unnamed girl, and three other girls, between 1968 and 1986, reports BBC News.
Rolf Harris Arriving at Southwark Crown Court
The court heard that the girl used alcohol to cope from the age of 14 and was abused by Mr Harris until she was 29. Harris, 84 - described as a "Jekyll and Hyde" character - denies all 12 charges.
Harris denies the charges of indecent assault said to have taken place between 1968 and 1986.
The trial of veteran entertainer Rolf Harris is set to begin today with the television personality facing 12 charges of incident assault against four young girls.
Rolf Harris arrives at Southwark Crown Court
Harris, who denies the charges, arrived at London's Southwark Crown Court shortly after 9am this morning, accompanied by his wife Alwen, whom he married in 1958. The couple have one daughter together, Bindi, born in 1964.
The popular TV presenter is ditched in the midst of a corrosive sex abuse scandal.
Rolf Harris, artist, television presenter and animal lover, will be replaced by Ben Fogle on Channel 5's Animal Clinic programme after his second arrest related to sexual abuse suspicion.
The 83 year-old Australian entertainer, who now resides in Berkshire, was interviewed under caution by police at his home on 29th November 2012 after a search warrant was executed at his property. He was first arrested in March by Operation Yewtree detectives and was named as a suspect in April.
Rolf Harris Has Reportedly Been Arrested For A Second Time.
Continue reading: Rolf Harris Dropped From 'Animal Clinic' After Sex Crime Allegations
This is the 83-year-old celebrity's second arrest.
After initial allegations during the first stage of Operation Yewtree in March, Rolf Harris has reportedly been arrested again this week. According to the BBC, the exact allegations haven’t been announced as of yet, with the Metropolitan Police stating only that an 83-year-old had been "further arrested in connection with further allegations", and re-bailed until later in August.
The musician and TV personality has been arrested for the second time.
Harris has not been named directly in connection to Operation Yewtree, with the Met Police referring to Yewtree 5 instead. It is unclear whether Harris’ arrest had anything to do with the Saville investigation directly, as Operation Yewtree, which was started after the presenter’s death in 2011, has three branches. One deals directly with accusations against Saville himself, which have surfaced since 2011, the second handles connections of other people to the Saville case and the third is focused on claims of sexual harassment and abuse, completely separate from the Saville case.
Continue reading: Rolf Harris Once Again Under Arrest In Connection To Operation Yewtree
Rolf Harris was arrested two days before his 83rd birthday, though the details remain sketchy.
Rolf Harris has been arrested by police officers working on Operation Yewtree on suspicion of sex offences. The much-loved 83-year-old TV star and singer was held over historic sex abuse allegations by the police unit set up following the Jimmy Savile scandal. Senior detectives have been investigating Harris for more than four months.
According to The Sun newspaper, officers raided his Berkshire home on November 24 last year, though he was not at home. He was interviewed under caution on November 29 after attending a South London police premises by appointment. Harris continued to perform several concerts following the interview, though was eventually arrested on March 28, two days before his 83rd birthday.
Scotland Yard said: "An 82-year-old man from Berkshire was arrested by officers on Operation Yewtree on suspicion of sexual offences.He has been bailed to a date in May pending further enquiries. The individual falls under the strand of the investigation we have termed 'others'." Police have refused to give any details of the allegations, though Harris vehemently denies any wrongdoing. Over a million people tuned in on Wednesday night to watch Rolf's Animal Clinic on Channel 5.